All new users must read and sign a copy of these WSL Lab Policies before working at the Water Sciences Laboratory.
- The WSL is generally open during normal University of Nebraska business hours Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. Trained users may request and schedule work in the Lab at other times provided they have obtained written approval from the Lab director, Dan Snow.
- Because the WSL is a core facility, staff have priority for instrument and equipment usage.
- Prior to using the WSL facilities, all users must complete UNL Environmental Health and Safety Training web-based training including Core - Injury and Illness Prevention Plan, Core - Emergency Preparedness Training, each of the four units in Chemical Safety Training, and Personal Protective Equipment. Each user is required to provide certification to be kept on record at the WSL.
- All equipment use must be scheduled in advance using the WSL QReserve Lab Calendar. Sign up for an account at QReserve and then send a request to become a WSL User to the Lad director.
- All solutions prepared in the WSL must be both labelled and fully documented in the appropriate solutions notebook. Every reagent must be labeled properly with a full chemical name, date, initials, and the WSL Reference ID number.
- The WSL is a shared working environment. Please be sure to clean up all bench spaces and shared equipment, clean all used glassware, and report when supplies are running low. If you have questions related to maintaining a shared lab, please do not hesitate to ask.